Reason why SME cannot find Singaporeans


Let's be frank. Are there enough positions for Singaporeans? Yes, there are. Are there enough Singaporeans who are willing to work? Yes, there are. So why is it that Singaporeans are saying they can't find a job and SME claiming that they are unable to hire Singaporeans? What's happening?

Singaporeans Expectation (working in an SME)

1. Salary - Come on, don't expect me to work without paying me enough. Well, even if you do pay me 'enough', my value do increase, and my perception of 'enough' changes over time. Please keep up with me.

2. Time - I do need some work-life balance. When i say work-life balance, I mean after work is my personal time.

3. Opportunities - I had been working for a year now. Shouldn't you show some appreciation? Like maybe a promotion or something?

4. Job Scope - I believe my peers don't work as much or as hard as I do. I practically cover everything in the department. You want me to do this and do that? What exactly do you want me to do?

5. Environment - Work, work and work. It's not productive you know?

6. Benefits - I heard of many benefits that others are getting. Like company retreat, D&D, activities, leave, bonus, good pantry. It seems that I don't have much benefits here. If you can just reconsider how you are going to treat your staffs, it may do both of us some good.

Conclusion: At the end of the day, I think I would prefer a MNC. At least, it meets some of my needs.

Employers Expectation (SME)

1. Salary - I paid you this amount, you agreed. So you expect to be paid more for doing the same work? Be reasonable. Your pay change when you can show more value.

2. Time - When you work, you are supposed to get things done. Why are you knocking off without getting it completed?

3. Opportunities - Show me your worth. Show me that you can provide me with higher value before we talk about giving you opportunities.

4. Job Scope - I believe these are PART of your responsibilities. What gives you the impression that these are not? I need it done by 10am tomorrow morning.

5. Environment - Of course you are hired to work. So what environment are you looking forward to?

6. Benefits - According to the Singapore law, you are only entitled to 7 days of annual leave. Will you please be contented that I am giving you 14 days? What more do you want?

Conclusion: Well, I can hire more foreigners to replace the Singaporeans. They are probably more willing to work than you.


*What do you think? Do you feel the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment